Friday, May 27, 2016

Why You Should Confirm Plans Ahead of Time

My daughter called a friend today who had surgery earlier this week. The patient information center said she had been transferred to a rehabilitation center. However, when she called, she was told her friend wasn't there. She left a message on her voice mail and worried while waiting a return call.

After a while, the friend called back.  It turns out that the friendly, professional center the hospital had set up for her does not take her insurance. There was a scramble while finding a spot for her to go. She was checked in to a facility with unfriendly, uncaring staff and terrible food. Although her complaint has been noted, she is stuck in there until at least Tuesday, since this is a holiday weekend. 

It's a sad lesson that the people we trust to coordinate things don't always do a thorough check of what other centers require. How frightening to be talked into surgery and once you're at a stage where you're too incapacitated to handle mishandled plans, you're stuck in a place that you'd never pick!

It's a good lesson, as well. Get involved in the planning of anything that will affect you - or your family - at all levels. I can picture some upset coordinators because they feel like their toes are being stepped on. Better some stomped toes than your total health as you are mistreated at a less than desirable recovery center after surgery.

Have you ever had plans go awry? Were you able to resolve it quickly?


 


18 comments:

  1. You HAVE to have all your ducks in a row at all times. Even then, things can go sideways. I've had a few incidents where my best laid plans completely crumbled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, this is a lesson I have learned well. In regards to everything! Follow p and never assume things will go as planned, be prepared! A contingency plan is always good, and write everything and everyone's name down and keep records! That is my advice!
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so sad because we should be able to trust our medical professionals to do what is best for us. It is also important to confirm plans ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had plans go wonky on me and it stunk but all I could do was go with the flow best possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, that's a tough situation to be forced into. It's terrible when your plans fall apart at the last possible minute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's terrible! You are so right. We definitely need to be vigilant about ensuring everything is lined up and following up on plans that will directly affect us like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who works with insurance and has been a patient many times I can truthfully say I am surprised the doctor's office didn't discuss the facility with her first. I have never seen that happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the person who arranged it all, it was settled. That individual was probably too busy to verify for sure. I've seen it happen a couple of times, but thankfully, it's quite rare. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. I'm a planner so yes, I always try to make sure to have all my ducks in a row but sometimes things happen sadly, and this would be a situation to throw me into a stressful melt down no doubt! Insure is such a tricky one! - Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that is not a good experience. I hate things like this. We have plans but sometimes other people ruinedd our plans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is sad. In everything we do, planning ahead is a must and in time that our plan doesn’t work accordingly we should have a contingency plan for it. They also say planning for worst is better than planning for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am such a perfectionist when it comes to making plans. I always have everything lined up before I set out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even imagine how frustrating that must be. I fortunately haven't had to deal with very much medical scheduling or planning, but this is a good reminder to get things set beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is horrible. I hope that your daughter's friend is able to recover in a better place soon. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this story sounds all too familiar. Unfortunately, this has become common place. It seems it is a lot harder to fix things than it is for plans to go awry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really do have to make sure yourself that very thing is set up, don't you? This is a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's an awful experience. While I'm the type of person that can easily forgive and understand why some things simply don't go as planned and expected, I'm not down with emergency situations ending up worse because of mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally agree with this. I have never had this happen to me but I would freak out if it did.

    ReplyDelete