Sunday, August 30, 2015

Keep Your Chin Up and Stand Against the Wind

Sometimes you just have to brave what life throws at you!



Have you ever had one of those moments when you greet someone you like but haven't seen for awhile and they totally lose their cool? I felt just like this telephone pole today as one of my acquaintances started listing their woes and would not quit!

Anger poured out with words, expressions, and movement. I don't believe I ever heard what was really bothering the person to cause the ruckus, but somehow I became the sounding board until it resulted in a turning away and hastily rushing away. Not me. I was as glued to the ground as this phone pole. Obviously, it was NOT the time to say "Hi."

Good Heavens, I was thunderstruck!

Disbelief held me spellbound for a moment or two as the acquaintance disappeared from view. The angry barbs stuck to me like the sagebrush on the pole. I've spent the better part of today trying to shake them off, to no avail.

The mantras for standing against buffeting winds keep running through my mind. Think good thoughts, love thy neighbor, judge not. 

I'm keeping my chin up and standing tall. I said prayers for a release from anxiety and turmoil. Tomorrow is another day. I hope they find it to be a better one.

How do you or would you handle this situation?

14 comments:

  1. Not sure how I would handle this. I am not one for putting up with issues as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the response. I hardly ever encounter something like this.

      Delete
  2. Where they directing it at you personally? I do know some people through activities we have in common who always complain. I mean always. Things are never going well, their spouse is horrible (their depiction), their kids drive them nuts. I've stopped periodically checking in because it's so toxic to listen to and clearly there is no desire to change it. Sometimes you have to send good thoughts for the person and just walk away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice and thanks. It was not directed at me personally, which is why it was so surprising. I couldn't help because I wasn't sure what caused it.

      Delete
  3. I stay far away from drama of any kind and have a small, close circle of actual friends. I am friendly with numerous people but choose those I get close to very carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Marcie! This is just someone I know casually - not really even a friend. Maybe it was an early warning system not to encourage a friendship.

      Delete
  4. Keeping your chin up and standing tall is about all you can do sometimes. I try to stay away from drama and just walk the other way. Catherine S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment makes me feel better, since I try to avoid drama, as well. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  5. I am not sure. It would depend on who it was, where we were at and what the situation was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats tough but my dad always said there are listeners and then there are talkers and you just happened to be the sounding board at the moment for the person. Tough when it so full of anger but hopefully you were able to shake it off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like they had a lot on their mind. I'm sorry you had to be the one to take the brunt of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drama is not high on my list. Not sure how I would of handled your situation. Sad you had to put up with that...should not have happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drama is not high on my list either. ;) I've never had this exact situation happen but I could feel how it would leave you speechless.

      Delete
  9. I find that when someone reacts like that it's usually because they are at their limit. They don't mean to take it out on you, you're just in the right place at the right time for them to vent. Shake it off and give them space to cool off.

    ReplyDelete