Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Traveling Tuesdays: The Beauty of Solvang, CA

A bit of Denmark in Solvang, California



A pleasant drive to the Santa Ynez Valley is a pleasant trip in itself. One of the cheerful spots to visit is the city of Solvang. Just exit from Hwy 101 at Buellton onto Hwy 246 for a few miles. A group of Danish immigrants founded the community in 1911. Curios from small shops and melt-in-your-mouth pastries from the bakeries create a tour to remember.




You’ll feel like you’ve traveled to Denmark until you see Mission Santa Ines, an original California mission built in 1804 during California’s Spanish reign. The Mission stands near the center of town.  
 



Security Dogs come in all sizes.





My sister J visited Solvang this weekend and graciously took pictures of many of my favorite spots.
The beautiful Pacific Ocean




Over a million visitors travel from near and far to see the statue of the Little Mermaid, Danish architecture, and horse-drawn and motorized trolleys.


My Solvang visits are few and far between since I moved from Southern CA.


It's always a treat to see lovely landscaping and colorful flowers.

Add this lovely city to your bucket list and only put a check beside it once you go. Chances are good you’ll want to return as soon as possible.


Where do you hope to visit before this year ends?

24 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely place to visit I have never heard of it until today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty. You know. Until I read this, I'd never even heard of Slovang. It's a gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great place to visit. I love all of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty, love the landscaping! Looks like a great place to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of Solvang. Very pretty!
    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great place to visit. Loved the photos of all the flowers... so colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like such a beautiful place, wow. Glad you were able to go and share the beautiful photos with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks spectacular. I have not heard of this place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How quaint! I love visiting quaint little towns and checking out all there is to see

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice place with some really cool architecture. It looks like the weather was perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Santa Ynez Valley sounds like a beautiful place to go for a weekend. I will have to check it out the next time i am in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a Nice place to visit. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like such a nice area to visit! California is full of hidden treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful colors with the flower pics! Everything here is dry and crispy thanks to the Florida sun

    ReplyDelete
  15. My in-laws go to Solvang all the time. They just love the small town feel of it. I still need to head over and check it out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this looks like such a beautiful place! I would love to visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's a Christmas store that's open year round. Delicious food can be enjoyed at the Bit O Denmark as well as Polly's Pancakes. If you're in the mood for split pea soup be sure to go to Anderson Pea Soup Restaurant in Buellton.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice place. I love the trolley. So fun to just ride around town and check out the sites.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Before the year ends, to answer your question, I would like to visit Miami. Orlando is on my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like such a pretty place to visit. We're heading to Florida next month.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that about California. There are so many cool and stunning places to visit. I have to check this place out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. California is so beautiful and one day I would love to visit. I would really love to visit my friends in North Carolina this year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful city! I want to say that there was an episode of the Kardashians filmed there.. Sorry I just happened to watch that day.. :/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never heard of this area before. I would love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete