Thursday, March 15, 2018

Why the Groundhog Got it Right in 2018


I have to be honest by saying I seldom pay attention to Punxsutawney Phil and his early February prediction for an early spring or continuing miserable winter. This year, however, I was hoping the industrious little weather critter would announce an impending spring - and the sooner, the better.

Wrong call for me - right call from the groundhog. The six weeks extension was disappointing. We've lost power, had trees felled by the wind, and seen more snow than usual. Here it is March and we still have wind, rain, and snow. 

 






Daffodils and blossoms are in danger of freezing. I took a picture of the cheerful first daffodil in the yard. Several other plants have the promise of additional blooms. The yard work will need a repeat so I can plant my vegetable garden for summer's tasty,organic harvest. Meanwhile, I'm starting the plants indoors. This might be the year to build an inside area for a year-round herb garden!

 








Even San Fernando Valley residents in Los Angeles, CA have a winter snowscape on surrounding mountains.

San Bernardino Mountains - March 2018



My little corner of Nevada shouldn't see this onslaught of white stuff this close to spring, but I've learned to roll with the punches. 




Whatever the last gasp of winter brings, be careful and don't let it catch you by surprise. 


Does your family have any special project for spring?




11 comments:

  1. My spring project is having a baby. Does that count? I am in Philadelphia and it is really cold. I hope it seems up by the time I habe the baby next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a fantastic project. Babies are precious and your child will enjoy having such a great mom!

      Delete
  2. Spring for me and my husband means we get to travel to different places again. I'm excited about all the fresh produce and the beautiful weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling is a great experience. I want to get to San Diego soon to visit relatives I haven't seen in awhile. Have fun!

      Delete
  3. Springtime means lots of yard work from the winter months, as well as a good thorough cleaning of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does. I can't wait to actually be able to clean the house without tracking mud and dirt back in after it's done.

      Delete
  4. We're in a condo. They haven't fixed our heater since November. It's annoying. It's chilly, even though it's Florida, and now we have runny noses. I wish Spring would roll in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's upsetting when property maintenance takes a back burner for landlords. I hope the heater is fixed when they call in the crew to perform A/C maintenance for the summer. I'm wishing a rapid arrival of spring for you and the family.

      Delete
  5. We don't have a special project for spring but we would love to travel as family. I can't wait and I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate that Spring is delay its so cold. I feel like the last couple of years we havent had an early Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. พีจี ทีเด็ด สล็อตออนไลน์ เปิดตัวเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ใหม่ pgslot รูปแบบ 3D เกมสล็อตมาแรงที่สุดในปี 2022 เกมสล็อตให้เลือกเล่นมากกว่า 50 เกม 50 รูปแบบที่ไม่ซ้ำและไม่เหมือนใคร

    ReplyDelete