Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Deciding Which Projects to Finish this Year

Thanks to Wikimedia Commons for the wonderful pictures and shapes in the public domain.



Mid-September is quickly approaching, leaving me with many tasks to complete before the icy chill of winter takes over. When the year changes to sunshine arriving late in the morning and nightfall taking over in the late afternoon, I know it’s time to complete the most important projects on my slowly dwindling list of things to do. As with other years, I’m going to rely on common sense and fairly reliable forecasts to focus on the three most important projects.

Repairs and Maintenance
Some of the outside walls of the house have paint peeling away. The last few years have provided winds of over 100 mph, temperatures exceeding 100 and dropping below zero F, and rain, ice, and snow. Painting the exterior of the house is a top priority. I’m taking a few minutes here and there to sand the area where the paint is loose and following it with an application of primer. In another month conditions should be right to start painting the buildings to avoid damage from yet another hard winter. 

When the bad weather sets in, I’m replacing the old indoor-outdoor carpet on the enclosed front porch. It’s a perfect DIY inside project that abolishes cabin fever.

Decorations
I know how to make my own happiness and it starts with celebrating special days and holidays. Decorating is a wonderful way to share my joy with others and hopefully inspire them to do the same or at least add a chuckle and smile to their day. I have outdoor displays I put along the fence for Halloween, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I put solar lights on the fences top and bottom to keep the décor visible.

Basic Needs
There have been winters of being housebound for a week or more. This looks like a rerun of the same. I’ve made a list of things to stock in the pantry so we have enough food. An extra can of coffee and cocoa, as well as gallons of bottled water, have their own special shelf this year. 

The main source of heat is a woodstove. It only takes short logs, so I’m using the electric chainsaw to cut down some of the branches that fell during last winter and spring. I’m hoping to find someone who needs larger pieces of firewood and will use the large gas chainsaw to cut the big limbs for themselves and help cut up the smaller ones for me. I’ve reached the point where handling the big saw is just not fun to do anymore.

As a kid in San Diego, my biggest winter worry was having the bus fare to get to the beach during Christmas vacation. Now it’s hoping I don’t have to tackle flooded roads and highways or have the need to go to town over icy, snowy roads.

The remaining “to-do’s” start my 2015 list and an inspirational look at next year! What will you carry over to next year?


28 comments:

  1. I always have projects that I procrastinate about doing. Right now it's cleaning out the garage. I have no motivation to work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, we have SO many projects in the works right now! Just trying to think them through and get them done is hard work. We have to get the whole wall by our fireplace fixed before winter, so there is that one. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Wisconsin and the winters do take a toll on me. We are already getting outside projects completed so we are ready for the cold and snow. Sure hope this winter is not like last years - the numerous -45 degree days are not what I consider a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, dont remind me! I just decorated for Halloween which I love. However, there are just too many repairs to get done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Decisions decisions. And HARD decisions, at that! I'm a guy, so my first instinct is to go with the Basic Needs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were hoping to do some touch ups in the bathroom and paint the outside of the house. There are some small things we need to do before we can put the house on the market. We seem to be dragging. As for my personal, I have a pile of sewing to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have several projects I am trying to get done before winter, too. I need to stock up on canned goods because I heard it will be a bad winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope finish my bathroom and start on the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a lot of projects in the workings. Slowly, one by one we are getting them finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Do lists never seem to end, do they? I try to just work on one thing at a time and get things done when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. we do projects from the outside in to prep for winter too. roof, house structure, then inside stuff. we've had some damage from storms in recent years too

    ReplyDelete
  12. What doesn't need help around here??? I think we really need to replace the flooring in the kitchen first!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't even want to think about winter right now. We have so much left to do, and are crazy busy. They are calling for snow as early as the end of this month, and I am NOT used to that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many things to do to prep for winter. I am not ready. We were honestly hoping to have a snow blower this year, but nope. Not yet and doesn't seem as though we will anytime soon. It takes 2 hours to shovel the driveway and my fiance does this every morning at 5am so I can get the kids out and he can go to work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My to do list seems to be growing every day!! Slow and steady I am getting them done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how I miss winters on the west coast. I don't think I'll ever be done with my to-do list. I mark things off and more just keeps getting added to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I procrastinate every project :( But...if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have no idea lol! My to-do list is so long and at this rate it will all be carried over!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope that I don't carry too much over into the new year! I'm trying to finish out 2014 strong!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's good to write out those goals for the years, especially projects. I end up with lots of half done ones

    ReplyDelete
  21. Decorating is fun! Just break it down to manageable bite sized pieces in the order of what will be the biggest punch first. Changing out the carpet will definitely give a big punch upfront. Good luck with your goals

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think some of the landscaping is going to have to hold until Spring. It's time to start thinking about wood for the fireplace now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have a long to do list that most likely will never get done. So it is all moving to 2015. Maybe that will be our year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's great that you've got a lot of ideas. I have a lot of projects, but no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have decided to start a new notebook to organize all of my projects around here. Really want to lock things down.

    You've got lots of ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These sound like some great goals you shared. I love decorating for the holidays as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think you and I would be two peas in a pod. I have so many projects I have in the works and those I have yet to start. I am so looking forward to the Holiday Decorations though.

    ReplyDelete
  28. In Arizona winter is almost not a season here.. it gets cold, but hardly ever cold enough to not go outside.

    ReplyDelete