Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Have You Used the Family-Friendly Thermometer?



I was so surprised to see how easy the latest device for measuring body temperature is to use. I can remember arguing with my mom that since my forehead and neck were warm, there was no sense in sticking that icky tasking, glass thing in my mouth to confirm a fever. Now all that it takes to get an accurate reading is a quick roll across the forehead with a temporal artery thermometer!

The process is the same for infants to adults. It reduces the threat of broken glass or the transfer of germs from one person to another. Its accuracy is amazing! Everyday activities like breathing, drinking cold or hot liquids, and coughing are known to cause inaccurate readings with other thermometers. The temporal artery thermometer, however, reads the heat released from the skin above the artery. Outside influences do not interfere with the measurement. 

Several prominent manufacturers include this type of thermometer in their inventory. They are available for the medical community and individuals. The price is higher than that for regular thermometers, but the speed, accuracy, and convenience offset the amount. Move the instrument across a clear area of the forehead between the eyebrows and hairline. Any obstruction, even hair, can cause an inaccurate reading.

I listened to the kids chattering about how much fun it was to have their temperature taken at the clinic without having something pushed into their mouth, under their arm, or other undesirable spots. It is impressive that someone developed this incredible idea and created a beneficial family-friendly item to reduce the stress of going to the doctor. This is on my “to buy” list as the year moves into colds and flu season.

Has anyone in your family had their temperature taken this way? How do you feel about its use?

36 comments:

  1. I use a temporal thermometer with my kids at home. I had not heard of such a thing until I had my first son and that is what the pediatrician used. I bought one that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so amazing! I love the idea of not having to disturb anyone who is sick - just a swipe and it's done. Thanks for sharing your impression.

      Delete
  2. I've tried to use this type of thermometer but I think there's a learning curve. I love the idea of it though, very noninvasive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last winter I received a thermometer that takes the temp by sticking it to a forehead. It was designed by Braun for fussy babies. I use it on everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a thermometer like this. My boys are terrible at keeping them under their tongues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. our pediatrician wants rectal temps till the kids are 6.

    and, um.... that doesn't happen. up to a year, yes. past that? no. honestly, i don't even take temps unless my kids feel HOT!! we do have a temporal thermometer for days with fevers though

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a temporal thermometer for our kids. It works a lot better than most of the other kinds, and the kids don't hate having to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have that type of thermometer. We have the old school one. I'll look into this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen them but haven't used them. We have the quick ear ones but the batteries are so darn expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish they had these when my kids were younger. This is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have one of these. It is so much easier to use!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the new way to take temperatures. It sure was a lot easier when my daughter was a baby and I needed to take her temperature!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have one and love it. I couldn't use anything else now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do have one and it is amazing! I am planning on buying my niece one for her baby shower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use whatever thermometer I can find! I have such a hard tim e locating one when I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a great product. It would have made things much easier when my son was little.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't had a thermometer in my home in a long time. My kids don't really get sick. I need to get a new one

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never used this type of thermometer, but it sounds great. Getting kids to sit still for even an ear thermometer can be a hassle sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post. YOu had me laughing all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds awesome! There's nothing like an easy thermometer for a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes I use a thermometer to take temps -easy and safe

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've had it done before. Very quick and easy to use

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like an interesting thermometer. I have the old school kind.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have the old school ones. I'll have to pick one of these up though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a behind the ear thermometer. I'm not sure it is that effective!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't used one of these, I have a behind the ear, and a under the tongue old school that I haven't used in a very long time. This looks like it could be much better!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I bought a temporal artery thermometer after the birth of my first child and I LOVE it. I would never use anything else now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't used one of these before. Definitely sounds like an easier way to take your temperature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an interesting idea. I had no idea there was a device that could take your temp this way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have not tried a temporal thermometer. I think it sounds like a great way to take a temp and not spread germs

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm not sure if we've used this kind before. I don't think we have, but I'm not sure which you mean. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We have a temporal artery scanner and think it works great. Totally non-invasive!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have one and we love it. Especially my son who hates having his temperature taken.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I bought one- or so I thought... it was a knock of and not worth the money! If I found the real one- I would buy it in a heart beat!

    ReplyDelete
  34. All of our dr offices use this kind of thermometer. We don't have one yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I use a temporal thermometer with my kids at home. But there was a day I didn't have one and I don't miss those days, LOL.

    ReplyDelete